Sie sind nicht angemeldet! Jetzt interner Link kostenlos im Forum registrieren, weniger Werbung sehen, aktiv teilnehmen und weitere Vorteile nutzen! Diese Website nutzt Cookies. Bitte beachten Sie unsere interner Link Datenschutzerklärung.
  Start » Forum Impressum/Datenschutz | Site-Map
7-forum.com   ModelleForummein.7erService

Forumsfunktionen

BMW 7er, Modell E38
 Varianten
 interner Link 12-Zylinder-Benziner
 Detail-Infos
 Interaktiv
- Anzeige -

Zurück   BMW 7er-Forum > BMW 7er Modelle > BMW 7er, Modell E38

Antwort

Thema teilen Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 19.12.2012, 02:28   #1
rex1825
Neues Mitglied

Standard BMW E38 mit N54 B30A motor

Hello,

First, srry for English, underneath will be a German translation from google translate.

I have a 728i E38 with "28 6S 2" engine and semi-auto 5 gear transmission. Here is my question: How hard is it, and how much would it cost to replace this engine with a 3.0 "N54/N55 B30A" from F01 series and 6/8 gear semi-auto transmission? Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance, best regards

Google Translate:
'Ich habe einen 728i E38 mit "28 6S 2" Motor und semi-auto 5-Gang-Getriebe. Hier ist meine Frage: Wie schwer ist es, und wie viel würde es kosten, diesen Motor mit einem 3,0 "N54/N55 B30A" oder "N55 B30" ersetzen von F01-Serie und semi-auto 6/8-Gang-Getriebe? Ist das überhaupt möglich?

Vielen Dank im Voraus, beste Grüße'
rex1825 ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 19.12.2012, 10:16   #2
Andimp3
Erfahrenes Mitglied
Premium Mitglied

Benutzerbild von Andimp3

Fahrzeug: Mercedes W211-420CDI
Standard

To hard and to expensive too
Andimp3 ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 19.12.2012, 10:56   #3
rex1825
Neues Mitglied

Standard re:

And if I somehow have both cars, let's say the E38 in ok condition, and from car crash F01? I presume that there are different mounting holes on both engines?

What is with electronics, is it hard to change?

I am el.ing., and I have few friends that can help me with mechanics.

Cheers...

Google translate:
'Und wenn ich irgendwie beide Autos habe, sagen wir die E38 in guten Zustand, und F01 aus eine Autounfall? Ich nehme an, dass verschiedene befestigung Bohrungen auf beiden Motoren sind?

Was ist mit der Elektronik, ist es schwer zu ändern?

Ich bin El.Ing., und ich habe Freunde, die mi mit der Mechanik helfen kann.

Cheers...'

Alt 19.12.2012, 11:46   #4
Provolone
Erfahrenes Mitglied

Benutzerbild von Provolone

Fahrzeug: 728i 05.01
Standard

Sorry but what the hell should a "semi-auto" 5-gear tranny be in a 728i E38 ?

Stick is stick and it is a full manual thing, or do I miss sthg ?

Best,

Externer Link (&Ooml;ffnet in neuem Fenster, der Forumsbetreiber distanziert sich vom Inhalt extern verlinkter Seiten.) 
Provolone ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 19.12.2012, 11:59   #5
Paddy@728i
Jetzt wieder mit Katze

Fahrzeug: 728iA 02.99, 735iA 02.99, 740iA 06.99, Jaguar XJ Super V8 04.04
Standard

In general, I'd second Andimp3's message. The reasons why such an idea will be very expensive and generally difficult to execute are diverse: as you already mentioned, all the mountings and holders of the engine, the transmission and its peripheral stuff like the alternator, starter, air condition compressor etc. will not fit at all. After that, you'd have to change and convert all the electrical and electronical components of your safety and probably suspension systems like anti-lock brake system, dynamic stability control, electronic damper control etc. to make all the 'new' ECU's/ECM's happy, too. And last but not least, you'd most likely need new parts of the drivetrain from the transmission back to the differential, therefore new transmission shaft being suitable for the new transmission, probably a new differential and some new drive shafts, all individually produced to fit the E38 while copping with the power of the new engine, if all that cannot be done with parts from a regular 740i or 750i.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to do, but you'd need tons of money and manpower to do that conversion mechanically, electrically, electronically and get all that stuff to work safely in the end.
Nehmen wir die Pflicht, nur mit Feinstaubplakette in eine deutsche Innenstadt einzufahren. Übertragen auf andere Delikte bedeutet dies: Man dürfte sich nur dann im öffentlichen Raum bewegen, wenn man sich das polizeiliche Führungszeugnis auf die Stirn klebt. Wer nicht vorab beweist, kein Mörder zu sein, wird verfolgt und bestraft wie ein Mörder. Ein Paradigmenwechsel von der Unschulds- zur Schuldvermutung.
Paddy@728i ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 19.12.2012, 16:25   #6
rex1825
Neues Mitglied

Standard

Zitat:
Zitat von Provolone Beitrag anzeigen
...what the hell should a "semi-auto" 5-gear tranny be in a 728i E38 ?...
This is a semi-auto transmision:

@ Paddy@728i, thanks for answer.

Cheers...
Alt 19.12.2012, 16:40   #7
Smartyy86
'The Perforator'

Benutzerbild von Smartyy86

Fahrzeug: Ka eF Zett
Standard

If you actually do have an F01 (not only the engine) it's possible but highly complex.

I would go that far to say, that is has never been done before.

Foreseeable Problems (Questions):

-Do Engine Mounts fit? If not -> Welding
-Do Transmission Mounts fit?
-crankshaft?
-You will have to wire alot!
-You will have (most likely) to use nearly the complete electrical system (because e38 communicates (mostly) via K-Line and F01 uses exclusively Can
which means (at least): Engine ECU, Transmission ECU, electronical imobilisation systems, Instrument Cluster, ABS/DSC. And probably every ECU the Engine communicats with.
-You will have to swap the exhaust systems (NOX cats etc.)
-what will happen with the keys?
-i think some ecus need information from the navigation systems, (or at least a GPS receiver)
-i would calculate at least with 3days work of diagnostics, to find out what's needed to be done to get everything to work, and at least 3days of coding.

In addition, there will be alot of unforeseeable problems.

If you want a "better" straigt-6 engine, find a 3L-M54 from a e39/e46. You will only need to swap Engine, Engine ECU, and Imobilisation ECU. everything else is codale (quite simple)

As far as i know, you can get a 6speed semi-automatic drive from a pre-facelift e60 and bolt it up to the engine (which is also codable)
Smartyy86 ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 19.12.2012, 18:08   #8
rex1825
Neues Mitglied

Standard

Zitat:
Zitat von Smartyy86 Beitrag anzeigen
If you actually do have an F01 (not only the engine) it's possible but highly complex.

I would go that far to say, that is has never been done before.

Foreseeable Problems (Questions):

-Do Engine Mounts fit? If not -> Welding
-Do Transmission Mounts fit?
-crankshaft?
-You will have to wire alot!
-You will have (most likely) to use nearly the complete electrical system (because e38 communicates (mostly) via K-Line and F01 uses exclusively Can
which means (at least): Engine ECU, Transmission ECU, electronical imobilisation systems, Instrument Cluster, ABS/DSC. And probably every ECU the Engine communicats with.
-You will have to swap the exhaust systems (NOX cats etc.)
-what will happen with the keys?
-i think some ecus need information from the navigation systems, (or at least a GPS receiver)
-i would calculate at least with 3days work of diagnostics, to find out what's needed to be done to get everything to work, and at least 3days of coding.

In addition, there will be alot of unforeseeable problems.

If you want a "better" straigt-6 engine, find a 3L-M54 from a e39/e46. You will only need to swap Engine, Engine ECU, and Imobilisation ECU. everything else is codale (quite simple)

As far as i know, you can get a 6speed semi-automatic drive from a pre-facelift e60 and bolt it up to the engine (which is also codable)
...thank you friend, will look up to that solution, ...sounds more reasonable

Cheers...
Alt 21.12.2012, 23:27   #9
rex1825
Neues Mitglied

Standard re:

Hello,

I came to final thingie about my 728i with M52TUB28 engine.

Since I wanted to have car with performance of 740/750i, but other things are against the famous V8 4.4 and/or V12 5.4 engines, I talked to one of mine friends that work in tuning shop for BMW's... well, he told me, that the M52 engines are pretty good build, and there is nothing that can destroy it (if you maintenance it), turbo or super charger would help me get what I want. So the entry level of this chargers would give me rough 250-270 hp depending of engine condition...

What do you think about this solution?

Cheers...
Alt 22.12.2012, 00:46   #10
Smartyy86
'The Perforator'

Benutzerbild von Smartyy86

Fahrzeug: Ka eF Zett
Standard

M52 turbos are not that rare, but i haven't seen one in an e38. the reason for this is: What's the point? the time and money spent to get a durable working M52turbo is in no relation to an M62 or M73.

by the way, why won't you use a V8 or V12? M60, M62 and M73 are extremely robust engines. with known flaws. flaws you can prevent with litte amount of time spent (regarding the milage you can get on them).

and what do you expect from a turbocharged straight-6 engine (which was never intended for turbocharging) in an 2000kg luxury limousine?

I love engine swaps/experimenting (i mean i'm trying to fit an M60 in an e30) but why "bother" about getting more power out of an M52? the only M52 swaps i know of, are in E36 or E30s, and the main reason is, because these cars were never built for an V8 and the creators want to keep the straight-6 engine.

in my opinion:

PROs: of an Engine "modification" like M52 turbo:
-if done properly you can get incredibly good results (and torque)
-you may keep the "728i" logo on the back, and annoy new porsches, many TDIs and other cars
-individal, unique and so on

CONs:
-for the same amount of money spent to get a good running durable turbo M52, you will get a S62 including gearbox, brakes, cluster etc. out of a M5 and put it in your e38, voila, 400HP 500NM stock.
-forgot the time, sweat, and anger spent in the point before
-try find errors in the system, and spare parts if something doesn't work.

fazit:
if you drive this car daily, don't change anything
if you still want to get more power, put a stock engine in,
if you want to build up a car with more power, get another e38 chassis, and and engine, and go nuts
Smartyy86 ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort