Sie sind nicht angemeldet! Jetzt interner Link kostenlos im Forum registrieren, weniger Werbung sehen, aktiv teilnehmen und weitere Vorteile nutzen! Diese Website nutzt Cookies. Bitte beachten Sie unsere interner Link Datenschutzerklärung.
  Start » Forum Impressum/Datenschutz | Site-Map
7-forum.com   ModelleForummein.7erService

Forumsfunktionen

BMW 7er, Modell E32
 Varianten
 Detail-Infos
 Interaktiv
- Anzeige -

Zurück   BMW 7er-Forum > BMW 7er Modelle > BMW 7er, Modell E32

Antwort

Thema teilen Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 23.04.2003, 15:49   #1
Odegard
Gast

Standard Several problems with '91 735IA

Disclaimer: I'm sorry to say but I'm no car mechanic. I'm living in germany (Bonn) for 2 years and decided to buy a *fun* car because compared to Norway, the car prices here are often 1/5 of the price in Norway. Of course, I'm moving back to Norway in 3 months and I'm now starting to experience problems. (It is a 1991 735IA, 130tkm so it's been treated nice.) I was recommended to post in this forum because you are helpful and understand english so please bear with me.

Problems:

1) The steering wheel shakes "violently" around 90km/t, especially when I'm not accelerating but just rolling.

2) The following happened in the last two days: I start the car and sometimes it dies after a few seconds. This never happened before and I think it is connected with the next: I put the car in Drive but push in the brakes so the car is at rest. The car is now shaking just a bit but it feels like there is two frequencies (two things causing the shaking) because each 20 or so seconds, it shakes violently and then dampens again. Also, when the car is in idle, the RPM is a tad below 500...I would guess 480 RPM. Before all this happened it was usually around 650 RPM perhaps a bit more.

3) If I brake twice, the first will behave normally but the second is as if the brake amplifier (don't know the english term) is gone and it feels like when I'm braking with the engine turned off. If I wait 2 seconds, it is normal again.

Possible solutions:
1) I've seen in the forums that this might be because of break pads or badly adjusted wheels. I bought new wheels some months ago but I can't remember if this started before or after the change (yeah, stupid.)
Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to go to a mechanic?

2) I think (and hope) that perhaps one of the spark plugs (?) are not working properly. This could (in my car-illiterate brain) cause the shaking at low RPM, why it dies (harder to maintain torque) and the low RPMs itself. I'm thinking of unplugging each plug and listen/feel if something is different. (The feeling/sound should get worse on all plugs expect when I unplug the faulty one, then it should behave normally).
Any other ideas?

3) My first thought was that I was running low on brake fluid (?) but I checked the container and the level is just below MAX. Is there anything I can check without going to a mechanic?

I really appreciate your help. If you need help with building a computer (which is my hobby) or calculating the mass of a black hole (my profession) send me an email and I'll help you out

With humble regards
Odegard
  Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 23.04.2003, 16:31   #2
Erich
Shogun

Benutzerbild von Erich

Fahrzeug: E32 750iL 11/88
Standard Hi Odegard,

it's me again, Erich alias shogun
For a general understanding what will break, Externer Link (&Ooml;ffnet in neuem Fenster, der Forumsbetreiber distanziert sich vom Inhalt extern verlinkter Seiten.) read this nice write-up.

Shaking of the front wheels/steering: general weak points: tie rod ends, struts, thrust arm bushings, sway bars. This shaking at around 90 kmh is a known problem.

brake problem: if you push it the second time you say it is as if the engine is off. so that means it is very hard to push down the brake? This brake "amplifier" is called in German Bremskraftverstaerker.
Do you have to pump the brake several times as if air might be in the system?

idle run, engine dies: do you know when the ingbition cap and ingition filnger have been changed the last time? Can you check that? worn, oxidized? This might be one of the reasons.
It the idle RPM different when the engine starts cold (in the morning) or just after a short stop?

Do you want us to recommend a trustfull repair shop in the area around Bonn? Maybe somebody knows, I am not sure.

Also have a look in the UK register
Externer Link (&Ooml;ffnet in neuem Fenster, der Forumsbetreiber distanziert sich vom Inhalt extern verlinkter Seiten.) http://www.thee32register.co.uk
Erich ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 23.04.2003, 16:58   #3
Odegard
Gast

Standard

Zitat:
Original gepostet von Erich
it's me again, Erich alias shogun
For a general understanding what will break, Externer Link (&Ooml;ffnet in neuem Fenster, der Forumsbetreiber distanziert sich vom Inhalt extern verlinkter Seiten.) read this nice write-up.
Thanks, I'll look it up.

Zitat:
Shaking of the front wheels/steering: general weak points: tie rod ends, struts, thrust arm bushings, sway bars. This shaking at around 90 kmh is a known problem.
This is my understanding also. I will therefore focus on the other problems first.

Zitat:
brake problem: if you push it the second time you say it is as if the engine is off. so that means it is very hard to push down the brake? This brake "amplifier" is called in German Bremskraftverstaerker.
Do you have to pump the brake several times as if air might be in the system?
Bremskraftverstaerker = Bremsekraftforsterker in norwegian but what it is in english? Hehe
Yes, I loose the BKV if I brake again within 2 seconds of the first brake. Pump braking only makes the pedal harder without helping much on the braking itself.

Zitat:
idle run, engine dies: do you know when the ingbition cap and ingition filnger have been changed the last time? Can you check that? worn, oxidized? This might be one of the reasons.
It the idle RPM different when the engine starts cold (in the morning) or just after a short stop?
I will have to find someone to help me find these things out.
The idle RPM is the same when cold starting as after driving for a while.

Zitat:
Do you want us to recommend a trustfull repair shop in the area around Bonn? Maybe somebody knows, I am not sure.
I have a friend that can help me but not until 2 weeks from now. I also know a repair shop recommended to me by the shop I bought car from (I will of course always check atleast 2 places and compare prices) but suggestions are always welcome. The repair shop I've used in the past is "1-2-3 -------" in Bad Godesberg.

My question is if these are mission critical errors or if I can wait 2 weeks when I can get help from a friend.

Thanks for helping
Grüsse
Odegard
  Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 23.04.2003, 17:37   #4
IMANUEL
Erfahrenes Mitglied

Benutzerbild von IMANUEL

Fahrzeug: E32 730i / 3.5R6
Standard Brake Parts

Hello Odegard !

I know serveral english terms for "Bremskraftverstärker".

Power Brake
Power Brake Assist
Power Brake Booster ( I guess guess this one is best )
Power Brake Booster Assist

Regards Manu
Alt 23.04.2003, 18:27   #5
Erich
Shogun

Benutzerbild von Erich

Fahrzeug: E32 750iL 11/88
Standard

worn break pads have nothing to do with that strange behaviour. If they are worn to the limit, you will get a warning in the dashboard (cc = check control). Might be the BKV.
Do not "listen/feel" an unplugged spark plug on test. Might "straighten your hair a bit upright".
Anyway, if your friend comes in 2 weeks to repair it, I just would ask your friendly repair shop to check the problem with the brake if it is dangerous to drive or not. This is probably the best solution, as you do not know it exactly and you cannot check by yourselves.
Erich ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort