Sie sind nicht angemeldet! Jetzt interner Link kostenlos im Forum registrieren, weniger Werbung sehen, aktiv teilnehmen und weitere Vorteile nutzen! Diese Website nutzt Cookies. Bitte beachten Sie unsere interner Link Datenschutzerklärung.
  Start » Forum Impressum/Datenschutz | Site-Map
7-forum.com   ModelleForummein.7erService

Forumsfunktionen

BMW 7er, Modell E38
 Varianten
 interner Link 12-Zylinder-Benziner
 Detail-Infos
 Interaktiv
- Anzeige -

Zurück   BMW 7er-Forum > BMW 7er Modelle > BMW 7er, Modell E38

Antwort

Thema teilen Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 03.12.2002, 22:29   #1
alyaparis
Gast

Standard 728i - eine Gute Wahl?

Zuerst möchte ich mich für das Schreiben auf englisch entschuldigen.
Ich hoffe Sie würde lesen meine Anzeige irgendwie (Sie können auf Deutsch reagieren).
Dank im voraus.

---

I would like to buy a 98' E38 728i (in France). I've seen one at a BMW Dealer with ~135.000 km.
I have a few question (those newbies always ask!!):

# Is there any known problems to check on that L6 2.8 engine?

# About servicing.
How much could I except to spend for servicing/repairing per year (at a BMW dealer)? Servicing/repairing cost me around 2300 euros in average per year with my previous car (1990' Porsche 944 turbo) and I wouldn't have to spend more than that!

# BMW Europlus Garantie
How interesting is the BMW Europlus Garantie? The 728i that I have in mind got it.

# 728i vs. 740i
Is it worth to spend more and get a 95' 740i? I guess servicing is more expensive on the 740 compare with the 728. Is that right?

# Audio System
I've already got a Navi-audio system in DIN format (Blaupunkt DX-R70 Travel Pilot). It seems that the E38'dashboard does not have DIN format space and the audio system is splitted into several pieces. Is it possible to get a kind of "adaptator" to fit a DIN format audio system?

Again sorry for writing in English. Thanks for your comprehension.
Next time I'll try a message in German.

Viel Dank,
AlyaParis
  Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 04.12.2002, 09:56   #2
pelo
Erfahrenes Mitglied

Benutzerbild von pelo

Fahrzeug: 728 iA E38 8/96
Standard 728 Questions - Answers

Hi alyaparis,

First of all, are you talking about a 728iA (automatic transmission) or stick shift?

Personally, I drive a 728iA and I do not know of a particular problem with respect to the R6 engine. To the contrary, I heard that being the most reliable engine.

With respect to power, a 728 and a 730 (V8) are comparable. A 740 is getting you more "bang for the buck" an I actually drive less aggressive with the 728. You got the 7 series feeling, for a good price. Chasing with the 740 is certainly more fun, but it tears on the parts of the car making it more trouble some.

Definitly get the Euro Plus, if possible. I persnally so not have one because I bought the car from a friend that I know. Otherwise watch out for tampering with the odometer (km numbers often "adjusted")

Au revoir

Pelo
pelo ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 04.12.2002, 10:05   #3
bjack
Mitglied

Fahrzeug: BMW 750i, Mitsubishi EVO 7, Golf 2 G60
Standard

I can't tell you something about known engine problems but I would
always take a 740. This engine fits much better to the E38 than the
2.8l 6cylinder.
But it is also a question of costs.
Do you want a cheap E38 to save money or do you want to have
a car with a higher standard on comfort.
I would take a car with navi, i wouldn't fit it from another system.
bjack ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 04.12.2002, 12:13   #4
Paddy
Erfahrenes Mitglied

Fahrzeug: 735i (E38)
Standard Hi there alyaparis,

as i own a 735iA ( built `96) i can`t give you any further information about maintenance and repair costs of a 728i model. I just wanted to drop a line about the Europlus and some things that are very important for you if you buy the 728 as mentioned in your message.
When i bought mine like 4 weeks ago, the dealer said that they assure to deliver a fully functional car, with new service done and new TÜV.
They changed catalysator,MID ( multifunctional display ) , did some paintjob as one mirror had a small scratch and so on. I also got brandnew tires and they also changed the wheels cause i didnt liked the ones mounted very much. ( unfortunately i didnt got the 18 inch )
I highly recommend that you buy the 7 series at a trustworthy BMW dealer with ( hope for you you`ll get it ) 2 years of Europlus warranty. Maybe this will raise the price of the car but its definetly worth it .

Good luck and enjoy your new ride ...

PS: if youre a Porsche driver atm, the better buy would be a 740i...

Greets Paddy
Paddy ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 04.12.2002, 14:43   #5
Charlie
Erfahrenes Mitglied

Standard

Hi Alyaparis,

Perhaps I can add some information which may be of use.

Regarding 2.8 R6, there was a known problem on models until late '98 in some areas of Europe where petrol has a higher sulphur content, leading to destruction of the engine block. Likely that this would already have occurred and been replaced under warranty if yours has 135,000 Km. Have not heard much of this problem in Germany but it was a major problem in northern England for example. I have a '99 728i with 143K, bought with 111K and only problem I've had was a failed radiator water thermostat. Luckily it jammed open and not closed!

Agree with all that's been said about Europlus although I don't have it myself - go for it.

Regarding 728i vs. 740i, depends how fast you want to accelerate as performance is very subjective. Personally, I found the 728 auto needed to work hard to keep the car moving fast with lots of auto-shifting up and down the gears, although cruising was fine. Therefore I chose a 728 manual and I find it acceptably fast and very economical (9.4l/100 average). Some folk insist a 7-series must have auto. Personally I don't mind changing gears the old way, especially as I drive through quite a bit of snow & ice in winter. But if you want an auto, 740 could be the way to go. Performance is very relaxed and gives the impression of being in a completely different league to the 728 manual or auto. Guess the downside is much higher fuel consumption if you use the performance.

Navigation - I'd definitely go for the standard BMW Navi if you can get it. Navi is also a great help when you re-sell you car as it's a very popular option.

Good luck!

Charlie
Charlie ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 04.12.2002, 14:56   #6
Erich
Shogun

Benutzerbild von Erich

Fahrzeug: E32 750iL 11/88
Standard Hi Aliaparis

Charlie just mentioned that he prefers a manual gear type.
Just looked into your profile. As you are from Paris, where there is a lot of traffic jam, stop and go, I suggest that an automatic transmission would be the better solution for you. It is much more comfortable.
Here is Tokyo the traffic might be still a little bit more congested, and I never would buy a car without automatic transmission.
So the preference for manual or automatic also depends on your personal circumstances.

Best regards

Erich
Erich ist offline   Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 04.12.2002, 23:05   #7
alyaparis
Gast

Standard

Hi all,

Considering your replies I think the best choice for me would be a 728i manual with BMW Garantie.

I don't need a car everyday and I will only drive on week-ends and holidyas so I would keep a manual gear (but I agree that if you drive every day around Paris you NEED an automatic transmission).

I won't go for the 740i for the time being as the price will be to high for a good car (with BMW Garantie and under 150000kms). Sure performance with the 728i won't be as good as with the 944 turbo, but it may be better! I lost control with the Porsche and I crashed it :( ... Sport cars aren't for me!!
I'll go step by step, first a 728 then after a few years a V8 or... a v12!

I've heard about the sulfur problems on engines but not in Germany nor in France. Anyway with good servicing a BMW 7 seems to be very reliable.

For the navi system, I realize now that trying to fit my Blaupunkt would be a nightmare (certainly not compatible with steering wheel commands and CD-changer). Unfortunately, in France not that many 728i have a BMW navi system fitted (easier to find on 740i/d and 750i or on less-than-2-year car)... I'll have to forget it.

The car I was thinking about may be a good one (BMW Dealer, Garantie...) but I'm not sure it's still available and I may not have the money ready before the end of the month.

Really hope you could see "akt. Fahrzeug: '98 728i" soon on my profile

Many thanks for your replies.
Alyaparis
  Antwort Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort