WeKoe
E38: IS IT LOVE ?

Benutzerbild von WeKoe

Fahrzeug: E38-FL (06.2000)
Standard

Was ist denn hiervon zu halten ?
Habe ich gerade gefunden:

---

I would like to share a cure for owners who are suffering from steering play this will apply to all models with a steering box.

I have an E38 yr2000 728il. It has been into the BMW dealer 3 times to correct the play in the steering which was approximately 1” side to side when rotating the Steering wheel.
They kept telling me that all the linkages were sound and that the steering box was within tolerances. I finally got fed up with them and decided to examine the problem myself.
I figured that if the box and linkages were good then it had to be the only remaining bit, the steering column itself. I looked at the BMW TIS CD and finally found what could be the answer. The steering column being adjustable has 2 parts. The upper is rock solid encased in aluminium. This generally never goes wrong. However the lower part of the column (spindle)
connects to the upper via a universal joint and to the steering box main shaft with another UJ. These are kept on with a pinch bolt. Once I had removed the trim and held the bottom spindle tight I could feel the play between the UJ and the steering wheel. I was delighted! I squeezed in a 13mm spanner (wrench) and a 13mm sprocket wrench and I was able to tighten up the bolt by 1 1/2 turns. When I test drove it the difference was dramatic! This encouraged me to remove the splash guard floor plan from under the car and access the lower pinch bolt. This was also loose gain by 11/2turn. Whist under the car I also tightened the pitman arm bolt which tightened by ½ turn. Then the tests drive down English country roads. Wow, for the first time in a long time the car felt like it did when new. With no virtualy no play whatsoever and tracking the road so tightly in the bends with neutral steering and a real welcome springy return to the steering wheel. The steering was also a little heavier which also really helped the feel. I am absolutely delighted and would encourage any fellow Beamer owners who have a steering box (apparently all the large engined 5 series (starting with the 535)have them as well as the 7) to try this first. It would also apply to steering rack models if they have the adjustable column as the column itself is almost identical. I am happy to include step by step instructions.

Please feel free to amend this and post it on any forum as a help to others. I have seen many listings asking for help with poor steering but never this cure, which all cars must suffer from as they get older. I suspect even the 3 series though it uses a rack will still have at least a pinch bolt under the upper column.

---