PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Just joined and wanted to say hello

jcarey
16.01.2003, 00:14
Hi, I live in the USA and own a 1998 E38 named Bettie. I have modified her looks somewhat to include the do ti yourself facelift modification and adding Angel Eye rings to the new headlights. I added exhaust tips and the electric rear window shade also. I have read your messages for a while now and I hope to contribute from time to time.

Best regards,

jcarey
16.01.2003, 01:07
Originally posted by jcarey
Hi, I live in the USA and own a 1998 E38 named Bettie. I have modified her looks somewhat to include the do ti yourself facelift modification and adding Angel Eye rings to the new headlights. I added exhaust tips and the electric rear window shade also. I have read your messages for a while now and I hope to contribute from time to time.

Best regards,

Hallo, lebe ich in den USA und 1998 E38 genannten Bettie zu besitzen. Ich habe sie Blicke ein wenig geändert, um mit einzuschließen tue Verschönerungänderung des Ti sich und das Hinzufügen der Engel Auge Ringe den neuen Scheinwerfern. Mich addierte Absaugventilator Spitzen und der elektrische hintere Fensterfarbton auch. Ich habe Ihre Anzeigen für eine Weile jetzt gelesen und ich hoffe, von Zeit zu Zeit beizutragen

Erich
16.01.2003, 01:24
welcome to the club.
Hope you enjoy to read our forum and get some friends and advice in case you have any problems with your bimmer.
I assume that you used a pc-translation program for the German. Well, it is not perfect but we can understand the menaing. There are also many of us who speak English, some more some less. But that should not be the problem. It is a good idea that you write in English and add the German translation. So this helps us to understand your message easier. And if you get an answer in German you can use the altavista program or whatever.
There are also members here from other countries throughout Europe and also from USA as well as myself from Japan.
Have a nice time here and enjoy it.
Erich

730SN
16.01.2003, 01:35
Hallo JCarey,

i just say...."and welcome to the club" :)
And,as Erich said,you can write english.I think more than 80% of the users here can understand and answer your texts.

cu,
Marco

jcarey
16.01.2003, 01:43
Originally posted by 730SN
Hallo JCarey,

i just say...."and welcome to the club" :)
And,as Erich said,you can write english.I think more than 80% of the users here can understand and answer your texts.

cu,
Marco

I am happy to discuss technical and other questions with my fellow obsessed BMW owners !!!
Thank you for making me welcome.

Alta Vista Translated "Ich bin glücklich, die technischen und anderen Fragen mit meinen Gefährte obsessed BMW Inhabern zu besprechen!!! Danke für das Bilden ich willkommen. "
John

JB740
16.01.2003, 09:41
hi man:D welcome on board!!
San Jose is the capital, right? I'm sure I passed through more than 10 years ago. your baby bettie looks very nice:lol
is it a 750????
as some of the others said, just stick to english (american will do it :P) because the altavista- translation is just piss-poor:lol:lol:lol
you w'ont have any problems being understood, for sure.
see you then, jürgen

Paddy
16.01.2003, 09:54
Dont worry about posting in English ( American ), a lot of us are able to read and answer your questions, and I guess a lot of us ( especially including myself ) are interested in some news about mods and other goodies done on their Bimmers in the US.

I m always envy on yer Wheels manufacturing companies as they all sell their rims in stylish chrome..

All the best with your nice ride..

rgds

Paddy

Erich
16.01.2003, 10:39
das ist ja sehr ergiebig sich einmal in ruhe seine homepage anzusehen mit den guten fotos seines wagens und auch die dokumentation der umbauten mit detaillierten anleitungen und fotos.
also nachruestung elektrisches rollo ist ja gerade hier ein thema, also wer interesse hat, da gibt es auch eine anleitung.

well done, john

Erich

cebe8273
16.01.2003, 11:46
hi jcarey,
welcome 2 u and betty.give her a big hug,she`s a beauty.

best regards
carsten

ps:cool homepage!!!

pfoehler
16.01.2003, 12:02
Auf dieser Seite seht ihr den Einbau des Rolos.
On this side you can see the build in of the (Sun-Shape:?)
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=177010&page=7

Das dir beim ausklipsen der Kontakte die Finger weh taten kann ich nachvollziehen.
Ging mir auch so. Da muß man Frauenarzt sein.:D:D:D
Short: The problem with the fingers i know. Here you must be an
Doctor for womans.:D:D:D

Hätt ich nur besser aufgepasst im Englisch-Unterricht:lol:lol:lol
My English is not so good. I have sleep many times in the school.:lol:lol:lol

Nur noch ne Frage: Hast Du den einzelnen Kontat in den Sicherungskasten gelegt oder ihn im
Frontbereich an einen anderen Kontakt angeschlossen?
Ist ja viel arbeit den Kontakt separat anzuschließen und abzusichern.
Only a question: Do you have put the cable in the fuse box? Its a lot of work.
Or you have put the cable on another Kontakt in front of the car?

Many Greetings Markus

jcarey
16.01.2003, 18:40
[i]
Only a question: Do you have put the cable in the fuse box? Its a lot of work.
Or you have put the cable on another Kontakt in front of the car?

Many Greetings Markus

Markus,
The power wire runs into the main fuse box, located in the engine compartment. I made a small hole in the plastic fusebox vent. You are correct that you need a "talented" finger to find the wire. I used a piece of wire coat hanger to push the wire into the fuse box. It pushed the wire to a point I can reach with my hand. I was an electrician when I was young and I used this trick many times.

Alta Vista's "piss poor translation" is here:
Die Energie Leitung läuft in den Hauptsicherung Kasten, gelegen im Motorraum. Ich bildete eine kleine Bohrung in der Plastikfusebox Entlüftungsöffnung. Sie sind korrekt, daß Sie einen "begabten" Finger benötigen, die Leitung zu finden. Ich benutzte ein Stück des Leitung Mantelaufhängers, um die Leitung in den Sicherung Kasten zu drücken. Er drückte die Leitung zu einem Punkt, den ich mit meiner Hand erreichen kann. Ich war ein Elektriker, als ich jung war und ich diesen Trick viele Male verwendete.

pfoehler
16.01.2003, 20:13
I have the instruction too. When the weather is better,
i begin with the work. The Cable-tree is build in and the switch.
Only this cable to the fuse box is missing.
And the next work is to make the slit in the had-plate.

regards Markus

Hitcher
16.01.2003, 21:19
Hi jcarey,

your welcome. It must be a strange feeling having a car like yours and a speed limit too :D I've posted an answer in the facelift thread about your great work too. You really did a nice job with your Bettie.
It would be very nice to see your work in real. Will you join us on our next meeting near frankfurt? :wow
Just kidding :lol:lol
Do you have future plans about customizing Bettie?

Geetings,
Hitch

jcarey
17.01.2003, 00:25
Originally posted by Hitcher
Hi jcarey,

your welcome. It must be a strange feeling having a car like yours and a speed limit too :D I've posted an answer in the facelift thread about your great work too. You really did a nice job with your Bettie.
It would be very nice to see your work in real. Will you join us on our next meeting near frankfurt? :wow
Just kidding :lol:lol
Do you have future plans about customizing Bettie?

Geetings,
Hitch

Hitch, we Californians drive a bit faster than the rest of the US, so it is not so bad to have such a great high speed cruiser like the E38 with low US speed limits (hehe):zwink

I always wish to do more mods to Bettie, my current list is to add Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein HD front struts and rear dampers. I wish I had HID headlights and I may do an upgrade soon as well. Next I am thinking of a Cold Air Intake with cone shaped air filter. One member of the US E38 forum (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/), made one from parts purchased at the local hardware supply store! This is interesting to a "Do it Yourself" guy like me. Once this is done I'd like to find a 16:9 MkIII navigation system to install, but this is a bit too much cost for me today. Finally, I wish to buy a 2001 E38 with these features installed sometime next year. The I will keep this while I wait for BMW to re-design the E65 which I do not like much right now.

MiamiDolphins
17.01.2003, 12:01
HI jcarey, welcome to the forum
nice work and pictures from bettie:-))))))
will you see more in forum
great time
ridvan

chief4
17.01.2003, 20:12
hi

i have some questions to you about ur US-740il

why have americans only (or the most) il?? the place?

Automatic: in the US you get only the "old" automatic wre had no "Steptronik", do you know why? an inside unter the steering wheel is no glovefold. do you know why?

an are there any other differents to ther german cars? i know the hp are not so much...

greet

christian

jcarey
17.01.2003, 22:51
[quote]Originally posted by chief4
hi

i have some questions to you about ur US-740il

why have americans only (or the most) il?? the place?

Automatic: in the US you get only the "old" automatic wre had no "Steptronik", do you know why? an inside unter the steering wheel is no glovefold. do you know why?

an are there any other differents to ther german cars? i know the hp are not so much...

greet

Christian,
I owned an E32 735i and I always wanted the extra leg room in the rear seats for my guests. When I went looking for an E38, I wanted the iL version. Many US customers like the longer cars for this same reason. Our garages are quite big so there is no concern about parking. For only a few $$ more you get more leg room, and there is almost no difference in the performance of the cars. So why not get the "iL"?

Steptronic auto transmissions are available on the Sport 740i and 750iL models, but for the 1998 year, no sport iL models were offered. If I get my wish and trade up to a 2001 E38, then I may chose a sport model to see what the steptronic is like.

The glovebox on the US car is on the passenger's side of the dashboard. The driver's side only has the parking brake release handle, and the rest is padded. I am aware that the E39 covering of the dashboards is more padded in the US spec cars, because some guys changed their interior to European type to get the more spartan look. Maybe E38s are the same, (more padded?). The US spec B62/M44 engine outputs 282hp @ 5700rpm, and 310ft/lbs of torque at 3900 rpm. Is this much different from the European V-8 specs?

Our lighting systems are different, using the amber colored bulbs or lenses to meet US DOT spec, and the exhaust systems utilize a cataylitic convertor to reduce emissions of harmful hydrocarbons. Other than this, I am not sure what else is different.
Best regards,
John

House
18.01.2003, 00:49
Welcome!

Hallo John,
your Bettie look's very fair and beautiful.
Congratulation!:wow

Greetings,
Houseman!

P.S.: My Bimmer is a Crushboy!:zwink

Erich
18.01.2003, 06:04
in contrast to the wide available space in the states have a look on the limited areas of parking lots in Japan.
This shows the parking lot of my apt. block and the cost per month ist abt. 500 bucks/parking lot And for a bicycle one has to pay 15 bucks, if you are lucky to get a free space. My "byce parking lot" is on floor 8 on the balcony of my apt.
Have also a look on my report about the BMW Club of Japan meeting under community, Treffen. Might be interesting for you.

http://www.7er.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6099